sâmbătă, 30 aprilie 2016

Review:Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo



Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.


Review:


"I am a soldier. I am the Sun Summoner. And I’m the only chance you have."

If the first book made me love the story,this one made me want to know more about what will happen with Alina,Mal and the Darkling.About Ravka and the Grisha's.If the first book was a masterpiece,i don't even have words to describe my opinion about the second book.Honestly,it was the best way to  continue what started in the first book,even if there were times when i wished that some things could have happened different.Because this journey was more complicated and it was an epic battle between two powerfull characters.

In this book Alina manages to do the unthinkable,always running and trying to stay away from the Darkling.But step by step,her life changes again,transforming her into an different person- someone who makes things she never thought she'll ever do.And,because of that,step by step,her relationship with Mal suffers,the distance makes them wish for something more ,for freedom and a real life,away from all the troubles.Yet,in her mind Alina knows that her life will never be the same again and that the Darkling won't let her go.In this book Alina makes new alliances ,she finds out about the history of the amplifiers and manages to control her power...But what if that isn't enough?What if the battle between her and the Darkling won't end exactly how she wants?What if...

“I got used to seeing him waiting for me at the end of corridors, or sitting at the edge of my bed when I fell asleep at night. When he didn’t appear, I sometimes found myself looking for him or wondering why he hadn’t come, and that frightened me most of all.”

Good God,i never thought that a book will keep me on my toes..But ,well,this one did that and it made me feel like a lunatic.It was crazy,because at the beginning i never knew what to believe or if this book will be good enough for me.So far,i'm still trying to process the whole thing with those two amplifiers and i keep wondering what will happen next..Yikes,spoiler.Pfft,sorry.
Yet,the battle between Alina and the Darkling?After i've read that scene,my emotions are all over the place,because i still wonder if the Darkling will change or if he will be the enemy until the end..I hope not,because even if he is a bad guy,deep down in my heart i hope for a miracle.

This whole book drove me a little insane.So many things happened and it was fantastic,but i've read about so many new characters and i still can't think about what happened with a few of those characters.
I guess,at some point i started to hate what was happening.It was messing with my head,especially what was happening with Alina and the way the Darkling appeared everywhere.But reading about those new creatures?The way they were described made my skin crawl ..And ,of course,i tried to imagine them..What i saw in my mind?It was..Yikes.

“He tapped the sun over his heart. "I came here for you. You're my flag. You're my nation.”

This time everything was different.The characters evolved and the story transformed into something more complicated and this time it had an obvious message:find a way to destroy the Darkling.I loved that somehow a few of those characters were stronger and more determined,especially Alina.And Mal?I admit that i enjoyed reading about him and i loved the fact that he was sooo determined to keep protecting Alina..Yet,i hated him a little when he started to act like he knew everything and that Alina didn't want him.But a part of me felt sorry for him,because in a way he was trapped in a place he hated ,a place where he felt he didn't belong.In a way it was like the roles changed,now it wasn't Alina who felt like she didn't belong..Now it was Mal.Yes,i know,i know i said that i hope that Darkling will change,but that doesn't mean i don't hope for something good to happen to Mal.And,yes,i can't choose between those guys!

“Watch yourself, Nikolai,” Mal said softly. “Princes bleed just like other men.”
Nikolai plucked an invisible piece of dust from his sleeve. “Yes,” he said. “They just do it in better clothes.”


And,yet,here comes Nikolai Lantsov and makes my head spinn,because holy heck,where did you come from?This feels like a love triangle-or how it is called when there are three guys involved and just one girl?I don't know..Strange or not,this was brilliant.I liked Nikolai.He was fun and charming.Brilliant and with an amazing attitude,Nikolai was exactly how a prince should be..But he was full of surprises and he managed to change a few things.
I loved reading about everything,about the way they were trying to find a way to fight,to save Ravka.It was fun and a surprise,because between Alina,Nikolai and the rest of the characters ,always one of them found out something surprising to say.
Also ,besides Nikolai,there were two more characters who made me enjoy reading about the Grisha society more..Tamar and Tolya,twin brothers -fighters and Grisha.Deadly and strong,capable do to anything.

I admit that a lot of things that happened in this book took me by surprise.It was full of epic moments,especially those in which Alina faced the Darkling,fighting those nichevo’ya created by the Darkling.Epic and brilliant,but now i keep wondering what will happen next..Will Alina be able to destroy him?What will the Darkling do next?So many questions..So many..



You can find my review on Goodreads: Siege and Storm .

Niciun comentariu: