marți, 19 aprilie 2016

Review:Calico by Callie Hart



Coralie

Twelve years ago, I ran to stay alive. 


Port Royal, South Carolina, was my home. I was born there. I fell in love there. And I nearly died there. I never thought I’d go back. Now, after so many years, I have to return to bury the man who made my life a living hell. Some nights, I used to cry myself to sleep, praying my father would die. Other nights were different. Other nights, there was him. 

Callan Cross. 

My first confidante. My first kiss. My first love. My first everything: Callan was the glue that held me together when everything else was falling apart. He was my savior. He was there for me whenever I needed him…

Until he wasn’t.

Every night, I’ve seen the love of my life in my sleep.
I just never thought I’d have to face him again.



Callan

Twelve years ago, I f*#@ed up big time.
 

Living life through a camera lens is sometimes easier than dealing with it head on. Scratch that. It’s always easier. For over a decade, I’ve been a master of my art, taking photographs all over the world. Yet despite all of the countries I’ve visited, the amazing things I’ve seen, the beautiful women I’ve screwed, my heart has remained in pieces.

Coralie’s the only woman I’ve ever loved, will ever love. And I’m determined to show her that we’re meant to be together. Even if it means unearthing the bones of the past in the process. 

A lifetime and a thousand miles have stood between us.
Now, there’s no length of time I won’t wait, no distance I won’t travel, in order to make her mine.


Review:

Rating:6/5 stars.

“Hey, bluebird,” he whispers. “I’ve been dreaming about you.” 

So far i've read a few books that were heartbreaking ,but that doesn't mean that each time i start another book,one that i know it has an difficult subject,i expect the same time. Each time it gets my by surprise,making me feel things i never thought i would feel-because even if those things didn't happen to me,the way they were described,the way the author wrote them it makes you sad,happy,heartbroken or it makes you feel a lot of mixed emotions,it's like you can imagine a little . So,yeah,right now after reading Calico my emotions are all over the place because this book was a roller coaster of emotional and heartbreaking events. And i'm not kidding.
Even if i didn't finish this book ASAP,like i wanted , at some point i got so overwhelmed by what was happening and i didn't know what to think or how to react.

For those who don't like reading books that have abuse as a subject i suggest you don't read this book. This type of abuse is the kind that changes one of the mains characters life completely making her take some decisions-harsh decision- that  changes everything. That's why it's heartbreaking,because it is a book about true love,about a love that started between two teenagers- a love that changed them,but despite that the horrible things that happened with one of the main characters managed to separate them.

I fucking know you, Coralie Taylor.” He stabs his own chest with his index finger. “I fucking know you. I took one look at you back in that library and I knew you. I always have and I always will. That’s never going to change. You can run away for ten years. You can change your hair… wear different clothes… but there’s not a damn thing you can do to hide your soul from mine. It’s far too late for that.”


Coralie's life was a living hell. Not because of who she was right now,but because of things that happened in her past. Things that haunt her . Nightmares that force her to live her life like a ghost. But going back in Point Royal-the place where all the bad things happened to her-to bury the one who hurt her the most,all Coralie wanted was to move on with her life,to let the past in the past..But she never thought that she'll see him again. To boy who made her life better,the one who showed her that you can find light in the darkness. Yet,here they are forced to face the past.
Callan Cross never thought he'll go back in Point Royal,the place where he grew up and where he met her. But hearing that the one who was guilty of destroying their life died,all Callan knows is that maybe,just maybe,by being there he'll get the chance to see her again and maybe,jusg maybe,they'll fix what was broken between them. But what if it isn't that easy?What if there are more ugly secrets that she never told him? What if....

Heartbreaking or not,i couldn't stop myself from reading this book. It was painfull to read those chapter from Coralie's past,the ones that made me understand all her reasons why she left Point Royal and Callan behind. And i admit thati hate her father with all my heart.  Yeah,i know ,he is a character,but heck if i care.

“I know you. I see into you. Your heart is my heart. Your breath is my breath. Your soul is my soul. Your pain… your pain is my fucking pain. So don’t expect me to believe you when you say you stopped loving me, because I looked you in the eye when you said goodbye to me, bluebird. My heart broke when yours did. My lungs stopped breathing when yours did. My soul hurt when yours did. My pain felt like it was killing me, just like yours did. You loved me then. You never stopped. You still love me now, the same way I still fucking love you.”

What i liked about this book? The fact that it was written from Callan and Coralie's point of views. It was perfect,because it gave me the chance to understand them both,to read about everything from two point of views,even if Coralie's chapters were harder and full of paint. Besides that,i love the fact that the author included chapters in which  i got the chance to read about how everything started between those two and it was perfect. Still,i wish that that perfection wasn't ruined by whst was happening with Coralie when she wasn't with Callan.

Being beaten and traumatized by her own father,made Coralie take so many bad decisions,but she was a strong character full of life and with an amazing future. The fact that she was strong enough to face her demons made me like her even more and i admit that her journey is full of ups and downs. From the beginnig until the end.
And Callan? Even if he had an amazing childhood,Callan life changed completely after he met Coralie. Handsome,charming and smart,but haunted by memories of what happened between him and Coralie. Haunted by what happened to her.

''You were raised in violence, but your soul doesn’t crave it, bluebird. Despite everything, you’re still gentle inside. You’re still you.''

Both,Coralie and Callan's characters evolved and transformed step by step ,they became stronger and more determined,but they story isn't an easy one.
Like i said above,it was a heartbreaking story because it shows us what could happen if one person is abused and tries so hard to hide everything from everyone.


This story changes step by step,transforming into something beautiful-a second chance at everything. It was heartbreaking ,but at the same time beautiful.My opinion?This book deserves more than 5 stars.


 + 1 star.

You can find my review on Goodreads: Calico.

Niciun comentariu: