sâmbătă, 6 februarie 2016

Review:Kane's Hell by Elizabeth Finn

Kane and Helene were the best of friends until a nightmare devastated them… Hopes were destroyed, dreams shattered, a budding teenage love torn to pieces. Eleven years later their lives are nothing like they once were. Time has changed them … and not for the better.

Helene is smart, driven, and accomplished—her education and achievements a smoke screen hiding the frigid and fragile child wounded long ago.

Kane is equally obsessed with his coping mechanisms—fighting … drinking … screwing … compulsively destroying himself one vice at a time.

When their paths collide again, their past becomes an obstacle no coping mechanism in the world can protect them from. But confronting the past so they can heal in the present is no easy task. Can Kane reach Helene and recapture what used to burn so warmly between them, or will his own self destructive demons pull her into his hell?

A woman determined to look forward. A man always looking back. A love desperate to be restored.

“You’re the brightest, warmest star in my universe. You’ll never be less than everything to me.”

WARNING: This book contains darker subject matter and violent content that may be difficult for some readers.
 


Review:



“You’re the brightest, warmest star in my universe,” I whispered. “You will never be less than everything to me.” 

I'm not really sure what i could write about this book.The story was intense and full of ups and downs,but there were a few things that weren't exactly my type.Step by step i started to understand more and it got me thinking that maybe after i read all the story i'll understand the whole idea.And i was right.Still,i wish it was better,

One day something bad happened to Helene and Kane,something that changed their life completely and forced them to do things they couldn't imagine doing-Kane leaving town without telling anyone and Helene started being obssesed with her education-both of them trying hard to find a way to move on and forget what happened..But after eleven years living like nothing happened-or preteding like nothing happened,Helene and Kane are forced to confront the past.

“Why is it so hard for you to believe you deserve to be happy?” 
He smirked, but the expression didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Because you’re not always around to reassure me. And you’re the only person in the world I would believe.”


First i have to admit that after reading a few chapters i wanted to stop.Yeah,the whole idea was interesting ,but at some point i was so confused and i didn't know what to think,what to believe.It was fun the fact that this book had chapters written from Helene and Kane's point of view,but what was strange was the fact that i had the chance to read chapters from the past ,from that day when that bad thing happened to them.Well,why i thought that was strange?Because those chapters were what made me want to stop reading.
Anyway...

“Can’t we just forget about the monsters,” he whispered, his lips touching and teasing my earlobe. “All I want is to remember us.” 

Helene was the type of character who was a fighter,trying to move on and forget everything bad that happened in her life.I liked her-her strenght and wish to become more.But in a way i started to understand that all that was just a facade,or at least that's my opinion.There were moments when i thought she was a little crazy..Well,after all..

“Please don’t make me a bad memory. Let me be a good one.”

Kane's character was a little twisted.Rough and strong on the outside,and fragile and weak on the inside.He was a little intense,but a rollercoaster on the way to destruction.I hated the idea of what he was doing to himself,because,yeah,he was my favorite,even if i think those sex scenes were a little too much.
From his point of view i never knew what to expect.He was determined to hurt himself,that until he starts talking again with Helene.But even he was acting weird,he still managed to make me like him,at least that side of him that was charming and interesting.

“I want to be a part of you,” I whispered. 
“You are a part of me,” she whispered back. “You always have been.”


Step by step the book started to change  and it wasn't really hard for me to read the rest,but i admit that it was intense and many ups and downs.But still..Maybe i could have given this book a better rate,but like i said above there were a few scenes that were too much and it kind of ruined everything else for me ,plus the beginning of the book.The rest?Was okay and it could have been amazing,because i have to admit that idea was really good and the characters amazing.


You cand find my review on Goodreads:Kane's Hell.

Niciun comentariu: