joi, 31 decembrie 2015

Review: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas



After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for four years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.
 


Review:


''I am Celaena Sardothien,Adarlan's Assassin.If these men knew who i was,they'd stop laughing.I am Celaena Sardothien.I am going to win.I will not be afraid.''

After reading a few reviews about this book,i decided that i had to give it another try.The first time when i've read this ,i admit that i wasn't impressed and i thought that it was ok,but that was because i'm not a big fan of books written in 3rd person point of view.Actually,there were a few books that i liked,but when i started Throne of Glass i was a little bit frustrated,Then..

Now?After reading this book again?Well,my opinion changed completely and i loved the book!
Yeah,well,call me a hypocrite if you want,but i can change my opinion how many times i want,right?And right now?I'm really ,really impressed and really,really happy ,Well,who wouldn't be?

I still can't believe how some things happened and i'm still waiting for something to happen,even if i finished the book and right now i am writing the review.Crazy,right? *sigh*

From the moment i started reading this book i wanted to know more about everything-about Celaena,Dorian,Chaol and the rest.I mean,it had an interesting start and i was completely captivated until the end of the book!
Honestly,even if this was the second time ,there were a few times when i didn't want to go to sleep ,so i could continue reading . Haha!Well...

I never thought that reading about an assassin could make me want more and more,but somehow reading about Celaena's life and everything she had to do in this book made me realize that it was an fantastic adventure and i can't wait to read more!

Yeah,there were times when i wished that Celaena wasn't an assassin ,that her life could be simple and happy,but ,well,i wouldn't change anything.It was amazing!

I loved Celaena.Her attitude,even if she knew she was in the hands of the enemy,was absolutely fantastic.I mean, she was baddass and all the jazz,but i saw her for what she was.A girl fighting for her life-a lonely girl whose life was full of ups and downs;a girl who had to do anything she could in order to survive.But being an assassin doesn't mean she wasn't human.
There were so many moments when i saw her fear and how fragille she was behind her mask.But the warrior within her was the best.She made me laugh so many times,but the truth was that she made me realize that in life you have to be strong and that you have to do anything you can to survive.

''My name is Celaena Sardothien''she whispered.''But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch,because i'd still beat you,no matther what you call me.''

Honestly,i enjoyed reading about her fights-how she was training with Chaol or with the Champions.She was fierce and determined to win ,to become the King's Champion.Even if the main reason was something else-her freedom.

What made me enjoy this book more was the way Celaena managed to win Chaol and Dorian's trust,even if they didn't want.Or how she befriended Nehemia.Yet she never tried to hard to do does things.

“With each day he felt the barriers melting. He let them melt. Because of her genuine laugh, because he caught her one afternoon sleeping with her face in the middle of a book, because he knew that she would win.” 

Oh my...At first i hated Chaol a little.I mean,c'mon!He was a little so harsh and i wanted to shake some sense in him,but now?I kind of love him.Yay!He managed to win my heart just by trying to help Celaena win the competition,just by believing in her..But!He had a few moments when i saw something in him -something that i can't explain.He was too serious for his age,but being the Captain of the Guards i understand why he was like that.It is wrong that i find him charming?Hell no.And i'll always admit that!Proud.

“I'm not married," he said softly, "because I can't stomach the idea of marrying a woman inferior to me in mind and spirit. It would mean the death of my soul.”

Dorian?My first reaction:'' Seriously?What's wrong with this guy!Yeah,i understand he was the prince,but c'mon!''.Now,he has a piece of my heart,even if ,like with Chaol,i wanted to shake some sense in him.Don't ask why..You don't need to know the reasons.
Slowly,i started to understand him and his actions.I started to realize that he wasn't like the King and that i had to give him a chance .And it was worth it!Charming and handsome,Prince Dorian managed to make me swoon.

But!My loyality still belongs to Chaol.


Honestly,i hoped that i won't find a love triangle here..But it seems that i can't get rid of that!In this book it wasn't so bad,meaning it was something that i could ignore ,a little.
I enjoyed reading about Chaol and Dorian's friendship and how they were responding to Celaena.At times it was really amusing,because i had too much fun reading about how they acted in Celaena's pressence.

''I name you Elentiya." She kissed the assassin's brow. "I give you this name to use with honour, to use when other names grow too heavy. I name you Elentiya, 'Spirit That Could Not Be Broken.” 

Nehemia.She had won my trust from the first time i started reading about her.Friend and ally,Nehemia was there when Celaena needed her the most,even if Nehemia didn't knew who she was.She was a fierce warrior and a true princess.Kind and special,but she had her secrets.
Despite those lies,i knew that Nehemia was someone who  i will like eventually.And i wasn't wrong.

It was fun reading about everything!But ,those test were the ones that made me understand completely how strong Celaena was.
The story was incredible.Between those test and Celaena's battle for her freedom,i loved that there was magic involved.Dark and Light.Those are the main reason why i couldn't put this book down!

''Light and Darkness.Life and death.Where do i fit in?''

I'm not sure how to explain what i feel about the King.He was a misterious one and i honestly admit that i'm afraid of what i will read in the next book.Dangerous ,dark and a little bit mad.That's how i saw him.And i hated him with all my heart.

The rest of the characters were interesting enough.There were a few that i hated(like Kaltin and the duke Perrington-horrible,horrible people!),but the rest weren't so bad.
Step by step i got the chance to explore more of Celaena's story.It was full of ups and downs.Full of surprises and i know now that even if she was the King's Champion ,her future will be full of many,many adventures,both good and bad.

Darkness and light,who would have thought that this book will be full of surprises?And i'm thrilled to announce that Elena's appearance was the best thing that could have happen to Celaena.At least,that's my opinion.


''You could rattle the stars,''she whispered.''You could do anything,if you only dared.And deep down,you know it ,too.That's what scares you most.''


Well,this is where i stop.This book was not how i thought it was.Well,first impression wasn't bad,but now?My short opinion: Badass and Epic!Brilliant.




Also,you can find my review on Goodreads: Throne of Glass.

Cartea Tronul de Clestar a aparut la editura Rao: Tronul de Clestar.

Niciun comentariu: